Sunfish Stainless Steel Dagger Board And Lift Rig – Mast Attachment
Category: Sunfish, daggerboard, centerboard, leeboard, sailboat
Problem: Since I am an old man, my balance and reaction time are not what they used to be. I decided that perhaps it would be a good idea if I had a weighted daggerboard to provide additional time to react to the wind gusts.
Action: I bought a piece of stainless steel 5/16” thick, 8” wide, and 34” long, which approximated the area of the original Sunfish daggerboard. I drilled a hole in the daggerboard at the very top to put a bolt through so that it wouldn’t go through the daggerboard opening. I measured the depth of the daggerboard opening and drilled a hole at the end of the daggerboard up that distance in the middle where a pin could be inserted to hold the daggerboard in the up position. I also made a wooden collar that fit around the daggerboard opening so when the daggerboard came down it came down on the collar, not the deck. At the ends of the collar, I attached two plastic strips, right at each end of the collar, that reach down below the daggerboard opening. This was so when I pulled the daggerboard up it did not punch into the ends of the daggerboard holder. As you can see in the daggerboard lift rig, I devised a way to raise and lower the daggerboard while I was sitting in the cockpit. To keep the daggerboard from rattling back and forth in the daggerboard opening, I duct taped some foam strips on either side so it fit more snugly in the daggerboard opening. Since I am not in competitive racing I only lightly chamfered the edges of the daggerboard, leaving the bottom square.
Result: It worked great! When I went out I had just a bit more confidence so I enjoyed my sailing that much more, particularly in the gusty wind conditions on my lake.
Additional Thoughts: When idea was conceived: 9/7/2011
How much time it took to develop: 16 hours (mostly trying to find a person that dealt in small stainless steel and arranging to cut it to size and picking it up)
How much money it took to develop: $125.00
Current status: Available for use
Since it was originally done: