Modified Gutter Topper
Category: House, gutter, leaf shield, gutter topper
Problem: Recently I had new gutters put on the house, along with a gutter topper to allow the rain to flow in the gutter but leaves and debris to slide off the top. Some of the toppers were installed incorrectly in part due to the angle of the metal piece where the top part and the bottom part were connected. There was really no reinforcing and so the angle could easily be changed inadvertently during handling or installation.
Action: While I did not actually modify the gutter toppers that were installed, I took a section of a topper and made some modifications as a sample. I gave it to the gutter installers for their consideration. Basically, I put a crease in the metal at the bend to strengthen it. Thus the angle would be less prone to change during handling or installation.
Result: I may never know, at least, from the people who installed the gutters.
Additional Thoughts: When idea was conceived: 1/5/16
How much time it took to develop: 15 minutes
How much money it took to develop: None
Current status: Waiting for further development
Since it was originally done: